Veterinarians Decry San Antonio Zoo Elephant Plan at Thursday Press Conference

MEDIA ADVISORY

San Antonio, Tex. (November 4, 2009) – A former San Antonio Zoo veterinarian will be joined by a wildlife veterinarian and Asian elephant expert at a press conference to call for permanent closure of the San Antonio Zoo’s impoverished elephant exhibit. The experts will also advocate sending the zoo’s surviving elephant, Lucky, to a sanctuary and bar the zoo from acquiring any new elephants.

WHAT: Press conference on San Antonio Zoo elephant controversy
WHO: Former San Antonio Zoo veterinarian Mel Richardson, DVM
Wildlife biologist/veterinarian Anand Ramanathan, BVSc, MS
Representatives from Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force and VOICE for Animals
WHEN: Thursday, November 5th, 11am
WHERE: In front of the San Antonio Zoo main entrance, 3903 North St. Mary’s Street

Mel Richardson, DVM, is a captive wild animal consultant with 40 years experience working with a variety of animals, including elephants. He has been a veterinarian for 27 years, working at several zoos, including the San Antonio Zoo for five years, and at an elephant sanctuary.

Anand Ramanathan, BVSc. MS, is a wildlife biologist and veterinarian, who has worked with elephants in the wild and in zoos in the U.S. and India, where he also spearheaded a captive elephant welfare program. He is currently the Executive Director for In Defense of Animals, an international animal protection organization.

This week marks the two-year anniversary of Lucky’s solitary confinement, following the death of her companion Alport. The San Antonio Zoo has refused to send Lucky to a sanctuary, and has repeatedly stated its intention to bring in another Asian elephant, even though its future plans are to display African, and not Asian, elephants. Lucky and any companion the zoo acquires will be shipped off to destinations unknown when construction on the new elephant exhibit begins.

On Monday, In Defense of Animals (IDA) filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, charging that the San Antonio Zoo is in violation of federal animal welfare laws due to its deficient elephant display and for keeping Lucky alone, which is traumatic for this profoundly social species. The complaint followed a scathing report released by the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force concerning a variety of animal welfare problems at the Zoo.

Contacts:
Catherine Doyle, IDA Captive Elephant Specialist, 323-301-5730, zoos@idausa.org
Suzanne Roy, IDA Program Director, 919-697-9389, sroy@idausa.org

In Defense of Animals is an international animal protection organization located in San Rafael, Calif. dedicated to protecting animals' rights, welfare, and habitat through education, outreach, and our hands-on rescue facilities in Mumbai, India, Cameroon, Africa, and rural Mississippi. _________________________________________________________________________________

IN DEFENSE OF ANIMALS • 3010 KERNER BLVD. • SAN RAFAEL, CA 94901 • 415-448-0048

27 Comments on “Veterinarians Decry San Antonio Zoo Elephant Plan at Thursday Press Conference”

• Danielle wrote on 5 November, 2009, 19:14

This CRUEL exhibit needs to be shut down immediatley. Why is this highly social, sensitive animal being held in solitary confinement for YEARS? THIS is DISGUSTING!!! Please help LUCKY!! WHAT A NAME….SHE SHURE IS NOT LUCKY!!!
    San Antonio zoo definatley is in this just for the money..they do NOT
    CARE ABOUT ANY ANIMAL!!!

This just breaks my heart & makes me ashamed TO BE A HUMAN BEING!!!!!

• donna wrote on 9 November, 2009, 11:58

Poor Lucky sure hasn’t been Lucky….Hope she gets to a sanctuary ….

• Nathaniel wrote on 17 April, 2013, 15:36

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any recommendations for rookie blog writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

• small Business it solutions wrote on 19 April, 2013, 9:40

You can definitely see your expertise within the work you write.
    The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

• ac repair la joya wrote on 19 April, 2013, 10:38

Terrific article! That is the kind of information that are
    meant to be shared across the web. Disgrace on the search engines for no longer positioning
    this put up upper! Come on over and talk over with my web site .

Thanks =)

• Moon wrote on 21 July, 2013, 22:01

I just love animals! And another news… I just found out that Manila Zoo has a cute elephant named Mali, and she is the only elephant in the Philippines! She has lived there for almost all of her lives, for more than 30 years. The zoo should feel like her sweet and cozy home now. But then, I read some articles in PETAAsiaPacific.com, and I noticed that Mali is in fact sad and lonely! Look at her here: https://www.facebook.com/FreeMali. She is like a prisoner, who cannot spend her days with her friends, roam in vast territories, and have delicious adequate food! She even suffers from foot problems. Why does she deserve this? :( Please Help Her!

• Education and Training wrote on 1 August, 2013, 12:54

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much
    about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead
    of that, this is wonderful blog. An excellent
    read. I will certainly be back.

• Johnathan wrote on 19 October, 2013, 19:36

Hrvatska je u svjetskim razmjerima prostorno sićušna republika .

Iako mala gledajući njenu površinu , Hrvatska se može pohvaliti različitim prirodnim i društvenim znamenitostima , kakvima se može pohvaliti zaista rijetko koja zemlja u EU

• gym workout wrote on 8 November, 2013, 23:30

‘ Exercises that aren’t properly done will have a poor result
    or may lead to extreme body pain. However, developing the abs has more than just superficial importance.

You must also factor in set up time for each exercise).

• {Isabel Marant Sneakers|Isabel Marant|Sneakers Isabel Marant|Isabel Marant Online|Isabel Marant Outlet|Isabel Marant Shop Online|Isabel Marant Madrid|Sneaker Isabel Marant|Botas Isabel Marant|Isabel Marant Zapatos|Isabel Marant Online Shop|Isabel Marant S wrote on 12 December, 2013, 4:19

It’s perfect time to make a few plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.
    I’ve learn this publish and if I may I wish to suggest you some
    fascinating issues or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to
    this article. I desire to read even more things approximately it!

• amazon coupon codes wrote on 13 December, 2013, 4:22

An entire area of Internet development has been created as a result of online coupon codes: message
    board devoted to online couponing and deal shopping. Look for companies in the same general area of interest as your website and cut your own deal.
    com is one of the very few reputable coupons
    & deals website on the web that provides tons of coupon
    codes and offers.

• ipconsulting.lv wrote on 22 December, 2013, 20:55

Currently it appears like Drupal is the top blogging platform out there right
    now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

• free music mixing software download wrote on 28 December, 2013, 14:31

Hi there i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace,
    when i read this paragraph i thought i could also
    create comment due to this sensible paragraph.

• now online discount coupons wrote on 15 January, 2014, 22:37

Hey there! I understand this is sort of off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does managing a well-established blog like yours require a lot of work?
    I am completely new to running a blog however I do write in my journal daily.

I’d like to start a blog so I can share my experience and thoughts online.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips
    for new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

• refrigerator repair wrote on 16 January, 2014, 19:19

You made some really good points there. I looked on the web for more information about
    the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this site.

• sadler wrote on 21 January, 2014, 6:35

íce

• brand Strategy definition wrote on 26 January, 2014, 4:06

Even though he could probably go hand in hand
    with being distracted. The best aspects are, there are more
    benefits, and a higher profit margin. Your keyword list can be
    used to build webpages around those targeted phrases.

• Http://Englishwvyg.Deviantart.Com/ wrote on 26 January, 2014, 4:08

Does your site show up in the top half of the first
    page of a search. And if I’m flying solo, At least I’m flying free, To those who’d ground me, Take a message back
    from me, Tell them how I am, Defying gravity”. Again though I would advise thorough research in the product as you do not want to be selling something that people will be unhappy with as this could damage your reputation as a marketer.

• leds lights for sale wrote on 27 January, 2014, 21:29

Or you end up scrapping whatever design you
    are trying to make. Their recycling program is
    one of the largest, yielding more than 10,000 pounds of old lights for recycling each year.
    The number of Christmas light strings you can connect will depend
    upon the capacity of the circuit in amperes and what household loads
    are already connected to that circuit.

• amazon gift card wrote on 28 January, 2014, 11:38

Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article.
    I like to write a little comment to support you.

• Madeleine wrote on 29 January, 2014, 5:00

Consider a unique approach to creating logos and banners rather than the
    simple rectangles that some companies use. The best aspects are, there are more benefits, and a higher profit
    margin. If you believe in what you can do for your business as a whole
    then it will not be difficult for you to be successful in the future.

• tips for refrigerator repairs wrote on 2 February, 2014, 5:48

I every time spent my half an hour to read this blog’s content
    every day along with a cup of coffee.

• Gate Result wrote on 14 February, 2014, 2:59

This is a topic that’s near to my heart… Take care! Where are your
    contact details though?

• a gifted and talented composer like you can move to the next grade of the musical success ladder with music software. wrote on 16 February, 2014, 9:09

I have been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours lately, yet I
    by no means found any fascinating article like yours.

It is pretty value sufficient for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you probably
    did, the internet shall be much more helpful than ever
    before.

• is hair salon wrote on 25 February, 2014, 14:31

St Catharines hair salon

Trackbacks

1. Solitary Confinement Is Not Healthy for Elephants (or Humans) « Solitary Watch
  2. Spring Summer Time Shoes Craze | Finding The Goddess

Write a Comment

Gravatars are small images that can show your personality. You can get your gravatar for free today!

Copyright © 2014 IDA News.