Mount Laurel, N.J. (July 13, 2010) – On Sunday July 11, more than 30 Canada geese and ducks were found shot and mutilated at the East Gate Square in Mount Laurel, New Jersey. The international animal protection organization In Defense of Animals (IDA) offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the killing.

Some of the geese and ducks were already dead, while others were still alive and suffering in what appeared to be a drawn out, brutal killing of innocent wildlife. Initial observations of the slaughter reveal geese and ducks were shot in the head and then possibly kicked to death or had their necks broken.

“In Defense of Animals find these acts unconscionable, and the perpetrators must be brought to justice,” said IDA president Scotlund Haisley. Citing the connection between violence to animals and violence to people, Haisley warned that “anyone who would commit such depraved violence towards animals is also a danger to people.”

On June 15, despite widespread and vocal opposition, Mount Laurel Township Council authorized the USDA to exterminate an entire flock of Canada geese at Laurel Acres Park. One hundred and thirty three birds were cruelly rounded up and gassed to death with carbon dioxide. This divisive and controversial decision angered local residents and animal protection groups, but also seems to have empowered others to act violently against geese in the area.

Haisley and actress and animal advocate Elaine Hendrix addressed Mount Laurel township officials on Monday night to express their dismay over the June gassing decision, and to also announce the reward for the arrest and conviction of the individuals responsible for killing the geese found on July 11.

“Whether or not the reckless decision to kill all the Canada geese at Laurel Acres Park played a direct role in inspiring the criminals who killed the geese at East Gate Square, that decision to exterminate the geese has had negative repercussions throughout the community,” Haisley added. “Concerned citizens must get involved with their community leaders to ensure public education and the implementation of non-lethal population control programs for Canada geese, to prevent similar unnecessary and cruel slaughters.”

For more information, please visit www.idausa.org.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Scotlund Haisley, Scotlund@idausa.org, 707-981-7701

VIDEO FOOTAGE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST

In Defense of Animals is an international animal protection organization located in San Rafael, Calif. dedicated to protecting animals' rights, welfare, and habitat through education, outreach, and our hands-on rescue facilities in Mumbai, India, Cameroon, Africa, and rural Mississippi. _________________________________________________________________________________

IN DEFENSE OF ANIMALS • 3010 KERNER BLVD. • SAN RAFAEL, CA 94901 • 415-448-0048

24 Comments on “In Defense Of Animals Offers $5,000 Reward For Information Leading To Arrest And Conviction Of Those Who Slaughtered Geese And Ducks”

• Dan Scott wrote on 14 July, 2010, 14:44

Stop , just stop this egregious abuse of these birds.

• Rina Deych, RN wrote on 14 July, 2010, 18:17

I am sick about the rounding up and killing of the geese. They just did it in Prospect Park, Brooklyn last week. The USDA rounded up and gassed 400 geese and their goslings (babies). To add insult to injury, a park official LIED to me and told me that nothing was done to the geese, and that he had just been to the park and seen them (this was FIVE days after they were killed).

Please, everyone, we must initiate a massive letter-writing campaign to protest this disgraceful massacre.
    Here is the letter I wrote to my local council man (Brad Lander):

Dear Mr. Lander,

As a registered nurse, humanitarian, and wildlife rehabilitator, I am shocked that the USDA has rounded up and killed 400 geese and their goslings (babies), who could not even fly, with the totally illogical and paranoid excuse that they might interfere with airplanes.
    Firstly, they were resident, not migratory, geese. They stayed in the park throughout the winter. Some of them were known by name to park goers. Beaky, who survived a fishing hook injury to his beak, was thriving, with the help and support of compassionate people.
    Target, who was shot in the neck with an arrow by a sadistic person, miraculously survived. The arrow had fallen out, and his wound was healing. He survived a near-deadly injury, only to be rounded up and killed painfully by gassing. It took five minutes for the birds to die.

Some articles referred to the killing as “euthanasia.” This is absolutely incorrect, since that term refers to the act of ending someone’s life painlessly to put them out of their misery. These geese were not miserable. They were proud, happy families with children, who did not pose a threat to a single person. In fact, they brought joy to many park goers, including children and the elderly, some of whom had no other friends or joys in life. Also, death by gassing is tortuous and painful.
    This is the epitome of cruelty, and I can’t imagine that it is legal. If it is, the laws must be changed.

As a constituent, I demand to know why the USDA was granted permission to take part in this massacre.
    Everyone I know is fuming over this incident. We demand that the people and agencies involved be held accountable.

Rina Deych, RN

• Ruth Murillo wrote on 15 July, 2010, 18:11

No more crimes plese.

• natalie wrote on 20 August, 2010, 5:39

Please stop this barbaric killing of the geese

• lynnze wrote on 27 February, 2012, 18:04

In the Iroquois Confederate statement regarding, saving species for future generations this makes no sense!!! Was an environmental impact study done?

Sincerely yours,

Wildlife Biology Major

• Vernell wrote on 10 November, 2014, 8:45

Hello there! Thiis is kind of off topoic but I need some guidance from an established blog.
    Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I’mnot very techincal but I
    ccan fjgure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about making my
    own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any points or suggestions?
    Appreciate it

• Svinninge bedemand wrote on 15 November, 2014, 9:44

You are so interesting! I do not suppose I’ve truly read through anything like this before.
    So great to discover another person with unique thoughts
    on this topic. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up.
    This web site is something that is required on the internet,
    someone with some originality!

• hp servere wrote on 25 January, 2015, 6:27

Notebooks efter at cpuaccents blevet værdifulde point, og måske de er desuden fantastically .
    tyndhudet .
    Som sådan de skal blevet detail shop under speciel prerequisites.
    Til dette resolve, utallige

• Rebelmouse wrote on 30 January, 2015, 2:28

Hi there, after reading this awesomme paragraph i am also
    delghted to share myy familiarity here wijth colleagues.

• butik baju muslim wrote on 30 January, 2015, 8:21

This is a topic which is near to my heart… Many thanks!
    Where are yoyr contact details though?

• Busana Muslim Model Terbaru wrote on 6 February, 2015, 18:04

I was suggested this website by means of my cousin. I am
    now not certain whether this publish is written through him as no
    one else know such targeted approximately my problem. You are wonderful!
    Thank you!

• feedproxy.google.Com wrote on 11 February, 2015, 23:40

It’s going to be end of mine day, however before finish I am
    reading this wonderful piece of writing to improve my know-how.

• iPhone 6 hoesje wrote on 25 February, 2015, 2:35

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further
    post thanks once again.

• dota2hack.org wrote on 3 March, 2015, 6:42

Hello Your current web page starts up incredibly slow for me, I’m not sure who’s
    problem is that although youtube starts up quite good.
    Around the other hand I appreciate you for posting superb blog post.
    I believe it has been extremely beneficial to visitor who actually visit here.
    I am hoping I’ll be able to get a lot more incredible stuff and I also really should complement you simply by stating you’ve done
    fabulous writing. I now have you saved to bookmarks to see blog
    you publish.

• jual kaos polos giordano wrote on 5 March, 2015, 15:34

Hey I am so thrilled I found your blog, I really found you by error, while
    I was looking on Bing for something else, Regardless I
    am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a fantastic post and a all round exciting blog (I also love
    the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through
    it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great
    deal more, Please do keep up the awesome jo.

• apocalypse survival guide wrote on 6 March, 2015, 0:34

I’m more than happy to find this gret site. I need to to
    thank you for ones time due to this wonderful read!!
    I definitely really liked every part of it and i also have you saved as
    a favorite to check oout new things in your website.

• printing press wrote on 11 March, 2015, 18:53

Hello my loved one! I want to say that this article is awesome, great
    written and include almost all significant infos. I’d like to peer extra posts like this

• APISMEDIA wrote on 11 March, 2015, 19:07

TPM cites higher engagement. Our future is at stake.

• Apis Media wrote on 12 March, 2015, 19:17

It sometimes requires investments of time and labor.

• Fishing Photos wrote on 10 April, 2015, 10:34

It’s actually very difficult in this full of activity life to
    listen news on Television, so I only use the web for that
    reason, and take the hottest information.

• Chadwick wrote on 1 May, 2015, 19:06

It’s awesome designed for me to have a website, which is good designed for my know-how.
    thanks admin

• small business web design wrote on 18 June, 2015, 18:00

As is a common factor in SEO for most search engines, ensure that your metatags are descriptive and include your important keywords.
    Typical Meta info is Title, Keywords, & Description. Journalists are constantly looking for new things to write about and if
    you have something really newsworthy the may pick you up.
    When developing new non-fiction book concepts think about the title as a search term, so go for the
    obvious rather than the interesting. You do this by completing a submission form for
    each of the major engines.

• ApisMedia.pl wrote on 20 July, 2015, 8:59

It at times demands investments of time and labor.

Trackbacks

1. IDA Fighting USDA Extermination Of Canada Geese Across the Country

Write a Comment

Gravatars are small images that can show your personality. You can get your gravatar for free today!

Copyright © 2015 IDA News.